- 2 c water
- 3 tbsp agar flakes (or 3 tsp of agar powder)*
- 1 c cashews (may substitute cooked brown rice
- for half of cashews to reduce fat content)
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1/8 c pimentos
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp yeast flakes
- 1 ½ tsp Vege Sal or salt
- 3/4 tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder or 2 fresh cloves, opt.
- ½ tsp dill weed, opt.
- * Agar powder is cheaper, easier, and quicker to use. (If using agar in acidic fruits then increase the amount of agar as it takes more of it to thicken acid fruits.) Use 1/3 the amount of powder to agar flakes, for example, if the recipe calls for 1 tablespoon of agar flakes, use 1 teaspoon of agar powder. It doesn’t require as much powder to thicken something.
- Boil agar flakes with water for 1 – 2 min. (If using agar powder mix it in cool water first, then boil for 45 seconds until it dissolves.)
- Blend the hot agar mixture with all the other ingredients in blender until very smooth, about 1-2 minutes.
- Pour into a shallow container. Chill.
- Slice when firm.